WARNING!

WARNING! THIS SITE HAS PICTURES AND CONTENT OF A MEDICAL NATURE AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE. VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blood Test Results

In Thursday's post I mentioned my surprise when viewing recent blood test results. Since then, I've had another set of results come in and they concern me more. While taking Cellcept it is imperative to have frequent blood tests to determine it's affect upon my immune system. My regular doctor has been ordering these blood tests as it is difficult for me to travel to San Francisco all the time to have the blood drawn. Why not have it drawn here? Much easier to keep track this way and actually learn what the results are instead of them getting lost in the big city hospital system.


These newest results show Lymphocytes at half of normal. Basophils two times above normal and Neutrophils somewhat elevated above normal. My liver enzymes are above normal but this is not a result of the Cellcept but from another underlying condition I have.

Lymphocytes are a type of white blood cell that helps the body fight off infections. I knew that by taking Cellcept it would reduce my lymphocytes as a natural part of it's job... to calm down my overactive immune system. I also know that this makes me more susceptible to infections as I mentioned in Thursday's post.

I tell myself the trade-off is worth it. What's a little cold or flu in comparison to chronic erosive oral lichen planus? Huh? I tell myself that every day, every time I take my dosage of Cellcept. But, in the last week or so, I have felt weak and tired, more than usual. A lot like before when I was in a full blown episode of severe lichen planus. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how opposite ends of the spectrum of the immune system can have the same deleterious effect!

Needless to say, I will be discussing this issue with my primary care physician, who is an oncologist and internal medicine doctor. If anyone could tell me about how a drug can decimate the immune system and what kinds of opportunistic infections could jump in there, she can. I hope it will be a simple matter of having an antibiotic prescription ordered.

Note: Digital Art Photo is of my cat's collar as he moved away from camera.

No comments:



Always seek the advice and supervision of a qualified licensed medical professional!

The information provided on this site has been created as an online journal only. The author is writing from her personal viewpoint and cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of the information displayed.

Comments to any of the entries are appreciated.