WARNING!

WARNING! THIS SITE HAS PICTURES AND CONTENT OF A MEDICAL NATURE AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE. VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

OLP and Cancer

There is an article I have read about Oral Lichen Planus being treated by Aloe Vera, which is often used to soothe skin irritations.

One of the things the article states:

"Persistent mouth ulcers due to lichen planus can, very rarely give rise to cancerous changes within the ulcer, and so need to be monitored by a doctor."

I am glad that my doctor takes my condition seriously enough to have me return regularly so she can check for changes. I know this is one of the reasons why she takes pictures of my mouth. She mentioned this to one of her students. Apparently she has a computer program that can compare photos and help keep track of changes.

My question is, when does a regular OLP mouth ulcer change to a malignant one, and how does one tell the difference just by looking at it?

See: Reference Chart for Visual Inspection of the Oral Cavity to Detect Precancerous Lesions and Invasive Cancers

Of course, the proof would be in having a biopsy, but at what point does one make the decision to have a biopsy?

From what I have read about oral cancers, it occurs with a much higher frequency in those who smoke and drink. So, I suppose my chances of my OLP developing into some kind of oral cancer are lower, since I gave up smoking a long time ago, and my stomach doesn't let me drink anything alcoholic without making me suffer for it. Thank heavens, I love to eat fruits and vegetables (when my mouth let's me), as it seems to be able to give a better chance to not get oral cancer if one partakes of them.

No comments:



Always seek the advice and supervision of a qualified licensed medical professional!

The information provided on this site has been created as an online journal only. The author is writing from her personal viewpoint and cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of the information displayed.

Comments to any of the entries are appreciated.