WARNING!

WARNING! THIS SITE HAS PICTURES AND CONTENT OF A MEDICAL NATURE AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE. VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cure for Oral Lichen Planus

I am getting ready to go tomorrow to see the doctor about my mouth. I've been looking through pubmed to see if there is anything new published.

It came to mind how many times I have had to explain this condition to family, friends and sometimes complete strangers.

"Oh, you got mouth sores? Rinse with saltwater and it will go away."

I'm not the kind of person who just shuts up, after a comment like that. I don't call anyone ignorant, or anything like that. I just tell them that these are not normal mouth sores. They are an autoimmune condition and incurable, though treatable. But salt rinses, or baking soda, or vinegar, or peroxide are not going to cure it. If those good old fashioned home remedies were going to cure it, I would have been cured a long time ago, because I have tried them all. People mean well when they offer such advice.

I mean well when I tell them the facts about oral lichen planus.

I have been inundated lately by all these snake oil salesmen. You know what I mean. The quackery that is best sold under the words "miraculous cure", or "the secrets doctors don't want you to know".

Why do people fall for such crap? Well, what can I say? In my desperation, I have tried all the home remedies that have been suggested to me. I have tried many of the ideas posted on questionable websites. I've considered the ads in the back of magazines, the ones that guarantee a cure. I've tried all the "secrets" but, I don't pay money for them, as I don't have it to pay. But, I think about others in my situation who may have the income to invest in quack cures. How much time and money do they put to it and avoid real medical treatment?

And you know what gives a little bit of veracity to some of those quack cures? It is not that they work, but that it just so happens to be a time when a person goes into remission naturally, just when they have been self treating with whatever the quack cure is.

You wanna buy a quack cure? I got just what you want. Send me a check for the largest amount you can afford, and I will tell you the secret ingredients to cure you not only of your oral lichen planus but all of whatever ails you! And I'll take your money to boot! (Only kidding, of course!)

I'll give you a hint of one of the most potent ingredients of my magical cure. It is the tip of the pelage from the rare species, Felidae Felis Catus, which is mixed with another secret ingredient, a powerful antiseptic, antibiotic, anti-microbial, anti-allergenic, anti-oxidant known as oil of Squamata Serpentes.

Please understand tongue in cheek doesn't read well, or is as well understood, as when face to face. So to verify: I am NOT selling anything on this site. No magical cures. Nothing that is too good to be true. No medical secrets known to the ancients. Nothing! What I am giving away free... is COMMON SENSE!

Believe me, if they had a cure for oral lichen planus, the pharmaceutical companies would have patented it by now, and everybody would be happy. Them making a name for themselves in the medical world and us giving them money for their cure for Lichen Planus.

By the way,  pelage from Felidae Felis Catus means tongue of the cat. Oil of Squamata Serpentes means snake oil.

I am in a sarcastic mood this evening. Aren't I? I guess I can afford to be, as my mouth doesn't seem to be in too much distress right now. It's raw on both sides of the tongue, but not terribly painful. I can chew food and swallow without too much trouble. Hot and cold are not enjoyed, though lower heat and warmer cold are fine. Top of my tongue is white coated and has typical striations as well as what I call "bald spots", where it looks like the cilla have disappeared from my tongue. The lips are spotted and behind them, the mucosa are blistered a bit. My gums are pink, but deep red/purple at the base. Aside from all that, I am way better than I was in August.

Can't wait to see the doctor tomorrow and see what she says.

NOTE:
I am reposting this from November 20th 2008 as requested by a fellow sufferer who was taken in by shysters offering her a cure.

4 comments:

Donna said...

I was diagnosed with OLP around 2004. I was given oral paste that was difficult to use on open lesions (felt like grinding sand into an open wound). My oral surgeon switched me to a steroid rinse which I used until I did enough research and started my own therapy. I started taking vitamin D3 and magnesium in high doses and my OLP symptoms are almost gone. I still have mild flare ups during times of stress, but nothing that is comparable to pre-vitamin/mineral therapy. Foods no longer are an issue. Comments from other OLP sufferers on FaceBook are warming to the results as well. I am taking 13,000IU/day D3 and 800mg/day magnesium. It's probabyl a personal thing as far as dose goes, but you might want to give it a try and let me know how it goes. Donna

Elizabeth Munroz said...

Thank you Donna, for your suggestion. This is exactly what I was talking about.

1. Oral Lichen Planus is not always in a flare up.

2. It can go into remission.

3. When it goes into remission, the person taking whatever is their attempt to treat it is led to believe that is what put is to rest.

4. I am very concerned about what you have written.

I believe we can all have some kind of nutritional deficiencies especially while having long term oral lichen planus that prevents one from eating properly balanced food choices. It makes sense to have some supplemental nutrients.

But it is important to not overdose.

Vitamin D taken in large daily doses can cause toxicity. Above 4,000 IU a day the risk of adverse effects increases.

Symptoms: toxicity and overdose

Signs of vitamin D toxicity are high urine and blood calcium.
The first sign of vitamin D toxicity is hypercalcuria (excess calcium in the urine) followed by hypercalcemia (high blood calcium) which cause kidney stones.

The following symptoms may present: nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, weakness, weight loss, confusion, heart rhythm abnormalities

Magnesium Toxicity

A healthy adult needs to consume between 270 and 400 mg of magnesium per day, depending on weight.

Symptoms of magnesium overdose include blurred or doubled vision, dizziness, drowsiness, change in frequency of urination, vomiting, low heart rate, severely lowered blood pressure, calcium deficiency, mental confusion, coma, and death.

Because the kidneys work to flush magnesium and other minerals out of the body, the risk of magnesium overdose greatly increases with impaired kidney function.

Anonymous said...

loved your total honesty ---i hope all our olp goes into remission and stays there---every one asks me --is it gone yet is it gone yet--they don't understand whats good for one person doesn't work for the next---Ive tried the magic mouth wash 3 months and now got steroid injections---hoping for the best

Elizabeth Munroz said...

I think part of the problem is that we don't get told it is a "chronic" condition. Of course, it is known to come and go. But, most hold out hope that when it goes, it's gone forever. I have yet to see a medical article that states anyone was "cured". Friends may be kindly offering suggestions for treatment but they do not know the disease first hand, so Really, they have no business suggesting remedies for treatment.

I found magic mouthwash soothing but inaffective. Steroids helped a lot. Some people cant tolerate them. I love them. Always feel so all around good while taking them. But they do have their long term side effects. I now have osteoporosis. Was it do to steroids? I don't know. It could simply be it's my time or because it runs in the family.



Always seek the advice and supervision of a qualified licensed medical professional!

The information provided on this site has been created as an online journal only. The author is writing from her personal viewpoint and cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of the information displayed.

Comments to any of the entries are appreciated.