WARNING!

WARNING! THIS SITE HAS PICTURES AND CONTENT OF A MEDICAL NATURE AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE. VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Comparing Oral Lichen Planus Studies

I recently read an abstract of an article: Oral Lichen Planus in Relation to Transaminase Levels and Hepatitis C Virus. The researchers, Doctors Suresh and Ali had 40 OLP patients and compared them to 40 people who did not have the diagnosis. Among them, they learned that OLP patients had a higher percentage of diabetes and SGOT/SGPT levels. (also known as AST/ALT) But, they found none with HCV.

I found their conclusions interesting. However, I feel they didn't have a large enough cohort. I found an article published in 1998 where there were 263 OLP patients in the study and there were a higher percentage of those with HCV as opposed to the control group (people without OLP).

I have been tested and don't have diabetes, but do have an elevated alkaline phosphatase, and it has been that way a long time. I do not have Hepatitis C, either.

I will be returning to my local doctor next week to learn the results of my latest blood tests.

1 comment:

missy said...

I have had this for about 10 years now and just finding out through the internet what it is. But I have been using what my docs call 'Miracle Mouthwash' it is a compound made by the pharmacist, prescribed by the dentist or doctor, and usually given to patients that have side effects from chemotherapy or radiation for mouth ulcers. 2-3 swishes every day for 2-3 days and it is gone!



Always seek the advice and supervision of a qualified licensed medical professional!

The information provided on this site has been created as an online journal only. The author is writing from her personal viewpoint and cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of the information displayed.

Comments to any of the entries are appreciated.