WARNING!

WARNING! THIS SITE HAS PICTURES AND CONTENT OF A MEDICAL NATURE AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE. VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Thursday, March 6, 2008

I came across a quote about Lichen Planus:

"may be found with other diseases of altered immunity; these conditions include ulcerative colitis, alopecia areata, vitiligo, dermatomyositis, morphea, lichen sclerosis, and myasthenia gravis."

I hit me as kind of odd.

When I was 16 I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata.
Alopecia Areata is when you lose hair from your head in round circles. They can be about the size of a dime or quarter. Sometimes there can be more than one. It came and went over the years. That's why I prefer to wear my hair long to cover up those round bald spots.

Hmmm....

Crop Circles!!!

I was mortified as a teen to have this hunk of missing hair. It wasn't like I could hide it very well, either. It wasn't hidden among some part of my head where I could pull other hair over it. My first time, the back of my neck all the way up to my ear was bare. It was the style then for a large bow to be worn at the back of the head beneath where you would have a roll of hair.... like a french roll. I told myself that people would just think the bow was pulling my hair out of the way giving the illusion of baldness. It's not something that grows back quickly. It's not like you just shaved a spot on your head. If that was all, it would grow back normally. But, sometimes it would take a year or so. Interesting to me now that no one ever mentioned it, not even the bullies that liked to pick on other kids.

Guess what the treatment was.... steroids!

My hair has always fallen out like that. But, I think the last time it occurred was a good ten years ago. They always say it is caused by stress and that is a bunch of bull****. If that were so, I would be totally bald (Alopecia Totalis)! And if that were true, then what happened in this last ten years? No stress in my life? I don't think so.

Alopecia is considered an autoimmune disease. Lichen Planus is considered an autoimmune disease. Do I have two separate diseases? Or one?

Erosive Oral Lichen Planus

No comments:



Always seek the advice and supervision of a qualified licensed medical professional!

The information provided on this site has been created as an online journal only. The author is writing from her personal viewpoint and cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of the information displayed.

Comments to any of the entries are appreciated.