WARNING!

WARNING! THIS SITE HAS PICTURES AND CONTENT OF A MEDICAL NATURE AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE. VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Seventh Treatment Day

Again 20 mg Prednisone, and Diflucan. Did I mention that the other day I had started on Clobetasol Gel to place on my tongue, under and insides of my cheeks. I really like this much better than the previous prescription I had for Clobetasol, because that one was like vaseline. It was an ointment. It just didn't stick well, and I always ended up feeling as though I had just coated my throat and esophagus with a grease job.

After talking with Dr. PV today, she said it is not necessary for me to use the Nystatin swish anymore. In fact, it is my understanding that it might be counter-productive because of the ingredients. It contains sugar, which is conducive to Yeast-Fungus-Thrush overgrowth.

I am wondering if the titering down on the Prednisone is happening too fast. Though there has been improvement, today I noticed that the two ulcers under the tongue sort of near the front have begun to return. The one on the right is larger. The one on the left seems to have a tightness to it, as the flesh appears to be pulled into a "pleat" on each side of it.

The top of my tongue does look so much better. The taste buds at the back look quite a lot better, and the ones on each side from the back to about one third forward look good. Though, I am not a good judge of this, for sure. But, they do look better to me.

The front of the tongue still is so smooth that I don't see any taste buds at all. That area is flat. The center of the tongue has a lot of the typical white "lacy" appearance of Oral Lichen Planus. It's not all that much of a delicate lace, but more crammed together. The front of the tongue is still quite a bit red and shows a lot of blood vessels. Laterally, still quite red, more on the right. The deep "hole" seems to have disappeared. YAY!

Ate oatmeal with raisins today. I should have boiled the raisins longer before putting in the oatmeal, as I had a lot of chewing to do. Firm chewing is too challenging just yet!

I never in my life would have guessed that I would be paying attention to such details on this part of my anatomy. I have better things to spend my time on. But, I think it is important to become more familiar with the changes and improvements. I really hope that I can get to the point where I will recognize when flare ups are beginning to manifest before everything gets so bad again. I really don't see any point on staying on the Prednisone all the time. There has got to be a balance. (Did I say this already?) I just have to catch it before it gets serious, and become familiar enough with the symptoms ahead of time.

I still have a problem with the stress angle. If I were to keep a calendar marking stresses and trying to compare to when I have flare ups, I just cannot imagine a correlation. If I have stress one day and not the next, or one week and not the next, then how would a flare up that occurs 3 months later be related? Even if I have a full month of stress, how could a flare up 3 months later be attributed to that stress?

If my mouth was completely (or almost completely) cleared up for many months, and then, I have a month worth of stress, and then immediately have a big flare-up, then I would be more likely to accept the possibility of a relationship.

I was originally diagnosed in 1995. It was a little lacy in the side of my cheek. I have been in all kinds of stresses since then, with little changes in the lace. So, what brings on the flare ups?

I think part of the answer to that is my age. It is my understanding that the older we get the weaker our immune system becomes.

Erosive Oral Lichen Planus

No comments:



Always seek the advice and supervision of a qualified licensed medical professional!

The information provided on this site has been created as an online journal only. The author is writing from her personal viewpoint and cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of the information displayed.

Comments to any of the entries are appreciated.