WARNING!

WARNING! THIS SITE HAS PICTURES AND CONTENT OF A MEDICAL NATURE AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE. VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Traditional vs. Complementary for OLP

I have one foot in traditional medical world and one foot in alternative. Gave up all RX's, (mentioned before)and cleared my diet down to basic mild essentials increased vitamins and added Mycomedicinals, acidophilus and astragulus. Nothing changed in all those months of trying different things except I got worse. A couple weeks ago I almost felt suicidal. Finally begged the doctor to put me on internal steroids and finally getting well. So, for me, I have had to go this way. I was so desperate. and now feel it is worth it. Hopefully will be off the prednisone in a few months.

I am aware of a few things that might have exacerbated my situation when my mouth was healthy enough to handle it. I did a lot of "healthy" additions to my cooking, lots of cilantro, fresh squeezed lime juice, curcumin, and a large variety of herbal teas, including Earl Grey which is notorious for causing sun rashes because of one of it's ingredients.

So, I had to cut all that stuff out as my mouth flared up.

It is considered to be that there are several causes for LP, the way some articles are written. Depending on the cellular appearance, under a microscope, it helps to determine the cause. So, if it is an allergic reaction, versus an immune system disorder, versus genetics and what all, it needs to be sorted out, before actual effective treatment can really help. Mine was already biopsied and proven to be the autoimmune OLP

The thing that bothers me most about my diagnosis is that I have been told it's incurable and will have to deal with this the rest of my life. To keep it under control is the best I can expect.

I am feeling so much better. I actually ate in a restaurant today without too much trouble.

I have the sores on my scalp, across the back and down arms, with only one lesion on my ankle. Weird huh? Anyways, those are much better too. Did have cortisone injections in my scalp a few months ago for alopecia areata. They had gotten infected with swollen glands, too and I had to be on antibiotics. This put me into "Candida" and ended up with thrush in my mouth too. yech!

No comments:



Always seek the advice and supervision of a qualified licensed medical professional!

The information provided on this site has been created as an online journal only. The author is writing from her personal viewpoint and cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of the information displayed.

Comments to any of the entries are appreciated.