WARNING!

WARNING! THIS SITE HAS PICTURES AND CONTENT OF A MEDICAL NATURE AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE. VIEW AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Monday, December 6, 2004

Suspected Causes of Oral Lichen Planus

Others with LP suggest that different things can cause outbreaks and it is important to eliminate them. But, it seems each person has their own theory. At least until I can substantiate any of them, I will not blame looking out my front door, or petting my cat, or drinking milk as THE cause of my OLP.

However, a few things, like certain prescription medications are being mentioned. As a precaution, when it got all flared up the past year, I eased back on some of my medications until I was off of them. I really don't see any difference between when I was on the meds and now, when I am not.

Everyone says stress causes more flare-ups. All I gotta say is that I am ten times MORE stressed out, having to deal with this, than I ever was before!

I hate it when medical people pin stress on disorders that they come across. It seems more honest to me to have them say, "I don't know what it is." than to blame whatever you have on stress. Then, you go home feeling like some kind of Psycho who can't calm down or relax. Plus, you feel crazy too, because you sit and meditate and zone out and are peaceful, but somehow you are looked at as stressed out by others. It's stressful just to not be believed that there is a problem that needs to be diagnosed and treated!

Honesty... truth. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. You also, are still dealing with the problem and feel helpless that there is nothing more to do about it, plus you don't have an actual diagnosis sometimes. It is discouraging. I have dreaded to go back to any doctor who has told me that what was wrong with me was stress. (How the hell does he think he knows that anyway?) So, then I have to find a new one and hope I will be taken seriously and an effort will be made to actually diagnose what is going on, figure out a method of treatment and go from there.

Not too many years ago it was believed that stress was the standard "cause" of Asthma and Ulcers. I remember it as far back as the 1950's and up to the 1970's. Now they know Ulcers are caused by that Helicobacter pylori bacteria. Now, that's SCIENCE! Low and Behold! Asthma has other REAL causes, too! Maybe there is some yet undiscovered virus or bacteria that causes OLP, too.

Stress can certainly aggravate those conditions, or perhaps the patients reactions to stress, that is. As I have noted before. Just dealing with the diagnosis, living with it day to day can cause stress that wasn't there before.

Which came first the chicken or the egg? Which came first the stress or the sickness?

No comments:



Always seek the advice and supervision of a qualified licensed medical professional!

The information provided on this site has been created as an online journal only. The author is writing from her personal viewpoint and cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of the information displayed.

Comments to any of the entries are appreciated.